After cloud computing, here comes cloud computing. The Spanish start-up Via Inteligente is currently testing an exciting innovation in the heart of Madrid: ipavement.
The concept? A 25 kg calcium carbonate intelligent slab directly integrated into the roadway, equipped with a 5GB microprocessor connected to Wifi and bluetooth, which gives users with a Smartphone the possibility to know the main attractions nearby.
Equipment that operates in temperatures ranging from -10 C° to 45 C°. It comes in two formats, Classic and Accessible, the latter being in compliance with universal accessibility regulations, and is podo-sensitive (grooved) for the blind or visually impaired.
The idea behind installing a slab every 20 metres on certain major city streets is to allow pedestrians to remain permanently connected (and free) to the Internet.
Why not enjoy unlimited reading of UP'? Subscribe from €1.90 per week.
iPavement offers seven different applications:
- VIA-BOOK: the library in the street. The first library in the sidewalk. The publication of local works, to promote culture and the diffusion of digital works.
- VIA-MAPS: a way to discover interesting pieces of information with a simple click. Tourists and city dwellers can use the catalogue on the map to discover the main cultural sites of the city, its heritage, its gastronomy.
- VIA-SOUND: music, etc. Music, concerts, local events, music books... all reproducible on mobile phones.
- VIA-COUPIONS: discount coupons. Promotion on certain products by sending the "coupon" directly to the mobile phone.
- ANALYTICAL IPAVEMENT: improvement measures. Figures concerning use, access, number of pedestrians and occupation of public places.
- MS-ALERT: intelligent warnings via Bluetooth. Bad road conditions, dangers from icy roads, accidents... all the necessary warnings sent to your mobile phone, by e-mail or to public services.
- MS-BLUE: programmed messages via Bluetooth. Transmits informative messages to tourists, informs the city's inhabitants of events and promotions.
The added value for cities is, thanks in particular to the Analytics iPavement application, the analysis of usage and pedestrian access statistics to optimise the management of public space by the community. Citizens would thus be able to send their complaints (potholes, poor road conditions and various incidents) directly to the municipal services concerned.
The innovation will be presented at the Dubai International Building and Construction Exhibition in November 2012. Via Inteligente has formed alliances in Europe, the United States and the United Arab Emirates to commercialize this international innovation.
To fight against disinformation and to favour analyses that decipher the news, join the circle of UP' subscribers.
iPavement / Vanesa Nuñez: email@example.com - +34917154337 or +34901450100 / www.iPavement.com