We were already talking about this revolutionary technology two years ago, but this time the product has just been released in the United States. An application of nanotechnology research.
NeverWet is a patented 100 % hydrophobic (waterproofing) silicon-based coating that completely repels water and any heavy liquid that stains. It was Andy Jones of the Ross-Technology Group's research into the need to reduce corrosion on steel products that led to the creation of this incredible anticorrosive. Nothing was available on the market at the time, so the company created its own product: a coating that is sprayed on with a bomb. In addition to being anti-corrosive, the product keeps things clean, dry, bacteria-free and prevents the formation of frost or ice.
Neverwet makes any surface 100 % waterproof (fabric, leather, wood, paper, metal, plastic,...). Impregnate your t-shirt with NeverWet (one spray for the base layer + another spray for the top layer) and the ketchup that has accidentally fallen off slips off instead of becoming embedded in the fabric.
Much more than just a waterproofing agent, NeverWet solves many critical problems related to the attack of liquids on materials. What sets NeverWet apart from other waterproofing products is its resistance to wear and tear, as evidenced in an experiment where a metal panel was submerged in seawater for a year before coming out completely dry and corrosion free. The coating also functions as an anti-icing agent and forms a self-cleaning, anti-bacterial shield. The applications are endless:
Why not enjoy unlimited reading of UP'? Subscribe from €1.90 per week.
- Anti-humidity: water slides on wood, metals, electrical and electronic equipment, textile clothing or cardboard packaging without ever altering their structure and causing irreversible damage.
- Anti-icing: NeverWet prevents ice from forming on outdoor electrical equipment, house roofs, windshields, power lines, airplane wings... preventing frost damage.
- Anti-corrosion: NeverWet retards corrosion of metallic materials four to six times better than existing coating solutions.
- Anti-Bacterial: NeverWet can treat most hospital furniture to prevent the spread of pathogenic bacteria, toilets, beds, bathrooms, high humidity environments, mold on interior walls, etc.
- Self-cleaning: because NeverWet forms a completely hermetic film that coats the treated object, the object remains clean without ever having to be cleaned.
Endless applications, from clothing to aircraft components! But it's also interesting to see what it can do to waterproof our gadgets.
Ross Nanotechnology has already conducted tests using an iPhone: after being covered with NeverWet, it spent 30 minutes underwater and never stopped working. A barrier where the liquid on the surface of the devices beads and slides off. Quite simply!
The spray is currently marketed in the United States for just under 20 $.
To fight against disinformation and to favour analyses that decipher the news, join the circle of UP' subscribers.