In line with its 2025 strategic plan, MINES ParisTechone of the leading French engineering schools, member of thePSL UniversityIn September 2019, the company will be redesigning its Civil Engineering program. The objective? To better prepare the engineers, scientists and entrepreneurs of the future to meet the challenges of the 21st century.e century.
A collaborative project, for engineering students who are actors and contributors to their training.
The MINES ParisTech Civil Engineering Cycle is a three-year engineering programme, mainly aimed at students recruited through competitive examination after two years of Classes Préparatoires aux Grandes Ecoles.
Relying on its 235 teacher-researchers, constantly in touch with the business world and major societal issues, but also with the contributions of its students or young graduates and its partners in the world of research, business and academia via the PSL University, MINES ParisTech has set up a collaborative project to overhaul its engineering curriculum, which is based on :
- A project group made up of 16 MINES ParisTech teacher-researchers.
- A "Pedagogical Hackathon", the H4CK@MINES, which brought together 125 students to produce concrete and constructive proposals likely to improve the functioning and pedagogy of the engineering curriculum.
Tripartite working groups Pupils / Teacher-researchers / Industrialists from companies of various sizes, whose role is to organise, develop and control the curriculum, and thus allow for a continuous overhaul of the Cycle.
The new opportunities offered by the MINES ParisTech engineering programme
- A student-centred pedagogical approach that combines face-to-face teaching, supervised individual work, group projects, immersion in the workplace and community life.
- The reinforcement of theoretical and practical teaching on two major issues for the Engineer of the 21st century: the energy transition and the digital transition (in particular with the scientific tools of AI in common core from the first year).
-A modular curriculum from the second year to encourage mobility and double degrees, in PSL University schools and internationally (35 partner universities worldwide).
- Immersion in the world of research, with the completion of a term in a research center of the School or PSL (Latin Quarter in Paris, the Paris region or Sophia Antipolis), or in partner universities at the international level.
- Multidisciplinary engineering projects in agile mode (from design to prototyping) based on "learning by doing".
- The creation of an "Entrepreneurship week" in the 1st year, to introduce engineering students to the methodologies and tools for creating a company.
- Emphasis on the acquisition of "soft skills" and linguistic, creative and artistic activities (especially through the other schools of the PSL University).
Vincent Laflèche, Director of MINES Paris Tech, explains : "This new model of our engineering curriculum will enable us, with the pedagogical innovation and scientific rigor that characterize MINES ParisTech, to prepare students to embody the values of entrepreneurship, to become promoters of meaningful sustainable, ecological and societal development, and to be players in the digital transformation, in France and internationally.
MINES ParisTech will thus offer a more modular Civil Engineering Cycle from the start of the 2019 academic year, to encourage international mobility and enable students to take full advantage of the wealth offered by PSL University, while preserving what has been our strength since 1783: a generalist and humanist school, which welcomes its students in an individualised manner and offers excellent teaching combining theory and practice. »